[PubMed] Free PMC Article
Septoplasty is one of the most successful operations when used for the right indication.
Septoplasty is a nose surgery that is aimed at plastic repair of nasal septum … the party wall between the two sides of the nose. It is performed either on its own or as a part of other functional and cosmetic nasal or sinus surgeries.
In adequately evaluated cases its results are very gratifying.
Failure of Septoplasty in improving the airway and improving the perceived comfort of breathing can result from :
1. Inadequate correction (very common). Posterior obstructive spurs are often left behind and use of endoscopic Septoplasty allows excellent visualization to tackle such problems.
2. Allergic Rhinitis (if its role is not established early)
3. Nasal valve compromise (failure of identification or failure to address it)
4. Physical obstruction from nasal mass or polyps
5. Septal adhesions / synechiae